Hematology Techniques and Concepts for Veterinary Technicians, 2nd Edition – Gregg L. Voigt, Shannon L. Swist
Detailní popis produktu
Key concepts have also been added to each chapter to better promote learning, and terms are now defined throughout the text, with the definitions collected into a glossary. User-friendly and well-illustrated with charts, reference values, algorithms and photomicrographs, Hematology Techniques and Concepts for Veterinary Technicians, Second Edition is a key reference for veterinary technicians and veterinary technology students.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Gregg L. Voigt, BS, DVM, MS, is a retired veterinary technology instructor from Eastern Wyoming College, Torrington, WY.
Shannon L. Swist, MS, DVM, is a veterinary pathologist for the New Jersey Department of Agriculture, Division of Animal Health, Diagnostic Laboratory in Trenton, New Jersey.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1 Introduction to the Hematology Laboratory 3
2 Composition of Blood 9
3 Blood Volume and Effects of Blood Loss 17
4 Blood Collection and Handling 23
5 Blood Smears and Staining 33
6 Routine Hematology Laboratory Tests 41
7 Automated Laboratory Methods and Instruments 71
8 Leukocyte Cell Types and Functions 83
9 Introduction to the Immune System 99
10 Erythrocyte Form, Function, and Indices 113
11 Erythrocyte Abnormalities 121
12 Anemias and Polycythemias 133
13 Hemostasis and Coagulation 141
14 Hematopoiesis and Bone Marrow Examination 151
15 Collection and Handling of Cytology Samples 159
Recommended Reading 177
"Even if this book is aimed at technicians, it is extremely useful for vet students . . . A glossary completes this valuable source of practical knowledge." (Tomorrow's Vet , 2011)
"Instruments are illustrated with instruction on their use. Step-by-step illustrations show the test for antibody or antigen in serum. Good color photographs show the various cell types in various stages. As before, the book is directed to the newcomer and is a solid, useful reference." (Vin Book Reviews, 27 July 2011)
"I recommend this book to any technician or veterinary student. It is better than the first edition." (Doody's, 3 June 2011)
Hematology Techniques and Concepts for Veterinary Technicians companion website features review questions and images from the book for download into PowerPoint.
- Discusses the basics of blood composition, with detailed descriptions of red and white blood morphology and function
- Covers the fundamental concepts of collecting, handling and preparing samples for the hematology laboratory for common domestic species
- Explains the relevance of each hematology test, in addition to how to recognize both normal and abnormal test results
- New to this edition is a chapter dedicated to automated laboratory methods and instruments, explanations of newer techniques and tests, and more in-depth discussions of immunology and cytology
- Includes access to a companion website providing review questions in Word and images in PowerPoint, with additional images not found in the print book, available at wiley.com/go/voigt
Buďte první, kdo napíše příspěvek k této položce.
Pouze registrovaní uživatelé mohou vkládat články. Prosím přihlaste se nebo registrujte.